- (Chilaquiles con huevos on the right, but that’s a whole other blog post.)
I put this on over my lunch break and come home 5 hours later to an amazing smelling house. I prefer making them from scratch because it is a LOT cheaper for the amount it makes. A bag of pintos is 70 cents in my hood and makes the equivalent of about 4-5 cans.
- 1 1/2 c. of dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 c. of dry black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 2 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 8 c. water or vegetable stock
Combine all in crockpot, set to high, and cook about 6 hours. With a stick blender (or regular one), blend until it hits desired consistency. It may be too runny at first but will quickly thicken up. Let simmer until it looks good to you.