I found a recipe for these on allrecipes.com today and modified a bit to include yellow squash and mushrooms. My 4 year old ate two of them…and they were pretty big. They’d make a great vegetarian version of chicken parmesan. Mushrooms give it a meaty feel, but use whatever produce you have. I’m glad I have a new way to use up all my CSA zukes without my usual default of “saute, olive oil, garlic, angelhair”.
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 small yellow squash, grated
- handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 c. diced onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. mozzarella
- 1/2 c. fresh grated parmigiano
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, and in a large frying pan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, take about 1/4 c. of the batter and pour into pan – should fit 3 or 4, flip them when brown – 5 minutes or so.
- Rest on paper towels to remove any excess oil.